Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Edgar Allen Poe


I think that Edgar Allen Poe’s writing is very interesting and mysterious.  It is different from other writers because I feel like to him there is nothing that is to over the edge.  I think that Poe would be willing to experiment with all different types of dark writings, in which he could scare others.  I think that he wrote these dark pieces because it was something that was different than what other people were writing.  No other people were willing or even wanted to write stories such as The Raven or the fall of the House of Usher.  However I think that Poe wrote these dark stories because of his background.  His mother and his wife both died in his lifetime.  He was not given the opportunity to live a long life with his wife.  His mother would also die in December, making Poe extremely sad.  I thin that is why he experiments with writing stories that are dark, and that deal with spirits or the after life.  I think he is fascinated by it, because all of the people that he loves are dead, and he wants to believe in some way that they are still alive or still around.  Poe is very lonely, and in the case of The Raven, I think he writes it to question the thought that there is actually no life after life on earth. He is very interested with what happens after our life on earth. 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog was insightful, especially the quote "…I feel like to him there is nothing that is too over the edge." I agree. Obviously, as a writer, you think of your potential readers. You say that Poe took a transcendentalist route in which he went against norms and wrote about very dark, scary topics. Do you think he did that to specifically please/gain readers and fans or would he have written that anyway given his past, as you mentioned? What do you think was his soul purpose when writing these depressing thoughts? Was it more of a way to vent?

    ReplyDelete